Sunday, February 05, 2006

Hope Town Lighthouse

An Essay By Alexie Lessing 3TN

Part 1: The Adventure


On the dingy, I pulled up to the dock and hiked up the steep hill. As I pulled the big heavy doors open the hinges creaked and the wind howled louder.



I walked into the dimly lit room and it looked old and musty. When I looked up I saw an endless stairway. There was nobody around. I was all alone in the Hope Town Lighthouse!




As I started the endless journey, up 101stairs, I passed 3 ancient and foggy windows. The further up I went, the more I smelled the old kerosene oil. I found out that the Hope Town Light House is one of the 3 kerosene fueled lighthouses in the world! Then I climbed up a very steep ladder to the lantern room. On the light it said it was a 325000 candle powered light.






When I stepped out onto the balcony the wind pushed me against the wall. I couldn’t believe I was standing at the top of a lighthouse built in 1864. Well really I’m on a lighthouse that was rebuilt in 1934. I took a lot of photographs of the beautiful view. I walked to the other side of the balcony and saw a sign that said ”Welcome to the Elbow Reef Lighthouse” . A sign told us that the lighthouse was 120 ft. above sea level, 98 ft. above ground level, and at night you can see its light from 17 miles away!

I started my long journey back down the light house.


Part 2: The Lighting


Now I have a different story. As I walked up the dark endless stairway, I passed windows illuminated by sunset skies.

I climbed into the lighting room and I saw Franklin, the light keeper, who cares for the ancient light. He lights the kerosene light and keeps the light spinning by cranking a weight every 2 hours.


Franklin invited me up onto the platform surrounding the Fresnel Lens. Then he lit the kerosene light! The light starting smoking like crazy, then the smoke completely stopped! The small little fire was then put out, and a really bright light began to show. The light looked like 5 feet even though it was only 5 inches high.

Franklin started turning the thick Fresnel Lens by hand to start the weight’s long journey down the lighthouse. Then he spun the handle a few times to keep the lens spinning.



I descended down the spiral staircase. When I got to the bottom of the steep hill, I looked back to see the lighthouse. The beam of light from stretched over the Atlantic Ocean for all to see.




Now that you have joined me on this journey I hope the next time you visit a lighthouse you’ll remember Franklin and his ancient Hope Town Light!

3 Comments:

At 7:49 PM, February 13, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lexie,
I really enjoyed reading your story about the lighthouse. You took some great pictures too. I especially like the one with the lights!
Aunt Susi

 
At 6:56 PM, February 15, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lexi Lou !
Sounds fantastic, I would have been scared stiff. Auntie Laura says, she could hear the stairs creeking under foot. Nice photos with Mommy's camera, you're learning from the best. And your dingy experiences will serve you well, especially with Daddy behind Tidepools' wheel.
Love,
U.Jimmy, and A.Laura

 
At 7:08 AM, February 20, 2006, Blogger The Cruising Wilsons said...

Thanks for your story. I have read a lot of nice things about the Lighthouse...yours is among the best.
Your photographer is superb, some very nice shots.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home